Mountain climbers are a great total body exercise. You will be utilising your core because you are starting from a plank position. Mountain climbers are a killer exercise that get your heart rate up fast while also firing nearly every muscle group in the body — deltoids, biceps, triceps, chest, obliques, abdominals, quads, hamstrings and hip abductors.
How to do it:
- Start by getting into the traditional plank position.
- Once your core is involved, bring your right knee forward below your chest, with the toes just over the ground.
- Return to the basic plank position.
- Now bring your left knee forward.
- Keep changing your legs until you pick up pace and you feel as if you are running in one spot in the plank position.
Do this for a minute.
Benefits: They are a compound exercise, meaning they work several joints and muscle groups simultaneously. The steady running motion targets your glute and leg muscles, including your quadriceps and hamstrings.